Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

& what an awesome weekend we had. Friday after work, John and I went up to the Asian Market. Aside from the usual Cracker Nuts and Sky Flakes (John's personal Filipino favorites), we like to pick out an adventurous and sometimes disgusting food. Dun ta da dun--the taro flavored mochi. Now don't get me wrong I love mochi. For all you fro-yo lovers out there, you can top your creation with these amazing little balls of heaven, similar in texture to a mini marshmallow. Anyways, the mochi we ate was a lot larger and clammier in texture. Can you tell that I was trying not to gag?! Great success for John (He'll eat anything) and me...not so much.

Saturday we got together with our friends Ed & Addie and went to the local farmer's market downtown. We had so much fun and I even got a basket of blackberries for the crisp I made on Monday. We later chilled out by the pool and then on to our favorite little Mexican restaurant, Mariano's (P.S. The owner invented THE frozen Margarita machine).

Pride Goeth Before the Fall- I was all pleased with myself for being able to triple the blackberry crisp recipe. After mixing all the dry ingredients, the recipe said to pour it over the berries and then slice butter into it. You are normally suppose to mix the butter with the dry but whatevs, I didn't question. Something seriously looked weird. So after calling John over, we realized I read the recipe wrong and I had to painstakingly pull each berry out (there were like 40,000; see Divide by 40) so I could blend the butter in. Regardless, it still turned out pretty delish.

Monday we barbecued with both families a lot of our friends which was really nice. As usual, I ate too much, too quickly and then decided to play Dance Central with Casey. In the words of The Spleen, a beloved Mystery Men character, "BIG MISTAKE."

Quote of the day: my boss described her outfit today as "pre-menopausal Barbie." Pure gold.

4 comments:

  1. The quote of the day is amazing! And that mochi looks pretty scary, I like the nice little balls you get with froyo! So good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim! It was scary. It had some sort of weird paste in the middle. We need to set up an art night soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes ma'am! It will be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. look at you!! baking and becoming all domesticated :) i love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete